Applecross SHS is one of the leading Arts schools in Australia and is recognised through our students’ achievement in practical and academic realms. Students can study subjects including Visual Arts, Design, Drama, Media and Music to the highest performance and/or intellectual level.
With a history spanning over 50 years, the Gifted and Talented Visual Art program holds a significant role within the Arts Learning Area. The school provides challenging and enriched specialised artistic education programs that prepare our Gifted & Talented students for exciting careers in the Arts and associated industries.
Achievements over the last three years:
- Highest Performing Schools for WACE Subjects – Design & Visual Art
- 2020 Subject Exhibition Award Design (1st in State)
- 2020 Certificate of Excellence Design, Visual Art
- Pulse Perspectives 2018, 2019 & 2020 (AGWA)
- Winner Lester Prize 2020 (Year 10)
- Winner St Georges Art Prize 2020
- Finalist Young Archies 2019 (Year 12)
The school is purpose-designed with facilities such as:
- Four Visual Arts Studios
- Design Studios
- Drama Studio
- Music Studio
- Individual Music Practice Rooms
- Performing Arts Centre
- Art Gallery
In Years 7 and 8, mainstream students access a rotating program of Drama, Visual Arts and Design, developing a strong foundation for continued learning and skill development. In Years 9 & 10, students can elect to study Visual Arts, Design, Drama, Photography or Media contexts in preparation for senior school studies in year 11 and 12. Applecross offers ATAR and General courses in Design, Drama, Music, and Visual Art.