Applecross Senior High School is a Local Intake school that offers Gifted and Talented Visual Art and Specialist Tennis programs. Specific eligibility requirements apply for all enrolments to Applecross Senior High School.
Applecross Senior High School is designated as a local intake school. Students and their family must live within the school boundaries at the time the enrolment commences. You can view the boundary map here.
Prior to an appointment for an interview or issuing an Enrolment Pack, the following documentation must be sighted and copies attached to the Application for Enrolment.
- Proof of ownership of the property by the parent/s where the student will reside. This may be a current rate notice from the local council.
- If the family rents a property, a copy of the rental agreement (minimum 12 months), if the rental agreement is a private arrangement then a Statutory Declaration, authorised by a Justice of the Peace, will be needed from the Lessor to verify the place of residence. If submitting the Application to Enrol, it is not possible to show an extended lease of 12 months, a copy of a new lease agreement must be provided to the school prior to the student commencing.
- Renting a room in a property is not acceptable for enrolment.
Applicants should provide further evidence (minimum of 3) to confirm their residential address. These may include:
- Power – connection or account
- Gas – connection or account
Plus two of the below documents:
- Water Account
- Home telephone/Internet accounts
- Removalist documents
- Contents Insurance
- Any other official documents that may support the application as proof of residence.
Additional items required
- A copy of the student’s Birth Certificate if born in Australia or Passports of the Parents and the student if born overseas.
- The student’s most recent school report showing subjects and grades.
- The student’s most recent NAPLAN report if applicable
Parents are reminded that under the Education Act 1999, Division 2.20 “the Principal may cancel the enrolment if false or misleading information was given”.
- It is a requirement that the school is informed immediately of any change of address.
- It is also a requirement that all the information provided is accurate.
Cancellation of Enrolment and Change of Particulars
Note the Department of Education Enrolment Policy states:
Cancellation of enrolment
Section 20. (1) The Principal of a school may cancel the enrolment of an enrolee at the school if the Principal is satisfied that :
- the enrolment was obtained by the giving of false or misleading information; or
- Section 17 has not been complied with.
Note that Section 17 states:
Change of particulars
Section 17. (1) Where there is a change in:
- the place of residence of an enrolled student; or
- the particulars referred to in section 16 (1(b) or (c) in respect of the enrolee, notice of the change is to be given to the Principal of the school at which the enrollee is enrolled
- by a parent or the enrollee;
Parents are required to notify the school of any changes to a student’s Citizenship, i.e. current Visa sub Class when changing from Temporary Resident to Permanent Resident or where a student becomes an Australian Citizen. A copy of this documentation is required for school records.
Closing Date of Application
Application for enrolment at a Public School can take place at any time. The recommended date for applications to enrol in Year 7 2022, is by Friday 23rd July 2021.
Students wishing to enrol whose first language is not English will need to demonstrate fluency in Standard Australian English on enrolment.
Courses in English as an Additional Language or Dialect (English as a Second Language) are available for eligible students and applicants needing further language development may be referred to an Intensive English Centre or a specialised senior campus.
A birth certificate or extract of birth certificate or passport must be provided with the Application for Enrolment as proof of age. Only in very exceptional circumstances, and only with the Principal’s permission, will a student be placed in a group that does not correspond to their age group.
A student who has turned 18 years of age prior to 30th June of the year of the application for enrolment will not be permitted to enrol at the school.
Provision of immunisation records at enrolment is a requirement of the Department of Education. Parents of students vaccinated in Australia can request an Immunisation History Statement at any time by:
- telephoning ACIR (Australian Childhood Immunisation Register) on 1800 653 809 (free call)
- emailing email@example.com
Change of Address
Continued enrolment at Applecross Senior High School is not assured where a family (student) changes residence outside the school boundary. Department of Education policy states the school must be informed “within 14 days” of any change of circumstances. This includes a change of address.
Siblings are not assured enrolment at the school where the family is residing outside the school boundary at the time of the sibling’s enrolment. Siblings are given some priority for enrolment over those families residing outside the local area (Out of Local Area Application) and are enrolled at the Principal’s discretion where capacity is established. Please provide the most recent school report when applying for enrolment.
Students born overseas must be Australian citizens or hold an appropriate visa before enrolling at the school. For overseas students who are in Australia, using an entry visa, it is necessary that we sight the passport and visa of the parent – primary visa holder – and student at this time. These should be submitted at the time of the application.
Parents of students with special needs should contact the school to discuss these needs and the appropriateness of placement in Applecross Senior High School, prior to lodging an application to enrol. It is important that these issues and the school’s ability to meet student needs are discussed and potential problems highlighted.
Suspensions and Exclusions
The Education Department requires that any information on suspensions and exclusions must be provided to the school when applying for enrolment. This information will help the school to provide your child with the appropriate support if required. Children currently under suspension from a government school can not be enrolled at another government school until the suspension period is over. Children who have previously been suspended or excluded from a government school may be required to enter into a behaviour agreement with the school if enrolment is accepted.
Approved Specialist Program
Students who reside within or outside the Applecross Senior High School boundary and who have a passion for, and exceptional ability in, Tennis may apply for entry into this Approved Specialist Program.
Students may apply in Years 5 or 6 for entry into Year 7.
Click here for Special Tennis Enrolment Information.
Gifted and Talented Program
Students who reside within or outside the Applecross Senior High School boundary may apply for entry into the Gifted and Talented Program. The Gifted and Talented program at Applecross Senior High School is the Visual Arts Program in Years 7 to 12.
Application and selection processes are managed centrally by the Department of Education Gifted and Talented Selection Unit. Please visit www.det.wa.edu.au/giftedandtalented for further information.
Applecross Senior High School does not accept applications from International students directly (eg. 500 visas). All enquiries should be made through TAFE International on 9218 2100.